Tuesday

House & Garden and Blueprint... no longer

Oh no! Both are shutting down? Forgive me, I have been so incredibly out of the loop these last few weeks.


I've loved House & Garden ever since my brief stint at Conde Nast after college. I used to flip through some of the old vintage issues in the CNP Library while doing research. A heartfelt good-bye letter from Editor Dominique Browning sums it up. H&G will be sorely missed in my magazine stack.

And I was so bummed to learn about Martha Stewart shutting down Blueprint too, especially just before the holidays! I just read about it at Jossip. I've really been enjoying this magazine's new ideas and style. I guess it just couldn't stand the test of time... seriously, what next? If Martha Stewart's gargantuan empire can't keep a glossie afloat, what hope is there for anyone else?

Magazine publishing is a tough market. Most of my career has been spent working at/selling to major national magazines. It's cut throat at some of them, especially to sell ads. I hope all the Conde Nast and Omnimedia chickies are able to land on their feet...

A moment of silence, please, for Blueprint and House & Garden.

19 comments:

janet said...

I was sad about this too, especially Blueprint and the 6 months I had left on my subscription! :)

Paper Relics said...

oh no! I really loved Blueprint and the page layouts they did.

Sharp Lily said...

I'm slightly devastated about Blueprint. What the hell?!

euroantiquer said...

Jen
Love your blog and the idea of you living in a row house. How great is that! I'll return to read more

perfect bound said...

I've know for a bit that blueprint was shutting down but everytime I read the news, I get sad again.

MagdalenasHem said...

Merry Christmas and happy Holidays!
Greetings from
Magdalena :)

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a truly sad thing. House & Garden is going to be sorely missed on my stack, too.

I have so enjoyed reading some of your great posts, atleast I hope that YOU won't be shutting down next year. I would love to come back and read more.:)
xo Lidy

Joy said...

This really is too bad... I enjoyed both of these publications.

Happy New Year to you, and just wanted to give you a heads up to update your url link back to my blog to:

http://ofamityandallure.blogspot.com/
See you again soon!

Small Space Resources said...

Love the Blog. I also have a blog at Smallspaceresources.blogspot.com.

I have listed your blog as one of my favorites on my Blog

argylewhale said...

I am a little shocked that blueprint sank. I enjoyed picking it up at the grocery store!

Mary Miller said...

It is a shame to see these go they have helped so much with their tips, hints and reviews I actually bought a couple of conservatory suites that they had recomended it will be sad to see them go.

Caroline said...

I also got a goodbye letter from Domino. Its official, all the magazines I love are no longer. Thank goodness for blogs.

dJmadier said...

Shabby Chic Decorating includes distressed finishes, soft as well as delicate colours, mixing checks, stripes, and flower-patterned fabrics, using a rumpled but neat look, and using home décor that is worn but also elegant.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

This is just awful how so many great magazines are biting the dust!

Fernanda said...

How sad :( I agree.

31everything.com

Mrs. Cat said...

the loss of house and garden has me incredibly sad as well.

####### www.BestHomeDecors.com ####### said...

If you're looking for Home Design Ideas for:

** Fixtures **
** Garden **
** Outdoor **
** Bedroom and more **

This is the right place to go: www.BestHomeDecors.com Enjoy. ; )

cincinnati roofing said...

It' was a bad news, I hope they can do something about it.

PJ @ Home Decor Accents | Outdoor Garden Decorations said...

More and more of the good magazines disappear in the magazine racks.
I guess printing cost and the high competition in print publications are taking their toll. That's really sad.
Therefor almost daily new online magazines pop up on the net, which is nice, but still, I just like reading something written on paper once in a while too, instead of starring on the screen all day long.