Monday

Eastern Market

Oh how I do love Eastern Market! I love the handmade wares, the organic fruits and fresh-cut flowers, and the history of the buildings and tradition. I love the people watching, and catching up with neighbors. I love browsing, just to browse... for no other reason than because it's a gorgeous, crisp Sunday morning, I have a cup a hot tea in one hand, and newest issue of the Hill Rag, tucked in the other.


So when a devastating fire ripped through the historic South Hall last April, I have to say that I was actually not surprised at the genuine outpouring of support from the Capitol Hill community, and surrounding DC neighborhoods to help rebuild the Hall. Countless supporters felt the love for this institution that I, too, share. Operating for 134 years, Eastern Market, has come to stand as a symbol of this city's history, creativity, and community commerce. So, I guess I just wanted to say, that as a strong supporter of restoration and continued appreciation of historic places, it is my sincere hope that Eastern Market is rebuilt withstand 134+ more...


Just some great architectural salvage and antiques for the home, from last weekend's visit to the Flea Market at Eastern Market...



(Images by RowHouse, Decal by Rebuild Eastern Market)

9 comments:

MWP said...

That High Life cooler is awesome. Any chance you checked out the price tag?

RowHouse said...

I think it was $80. We shoulda bought it - it was in mint condition!

janet said...

I love it there too. Sadly I have been out of town almost every weekend lately (and 3 of the next 4 -- ahh!!) No time to take advantage of the warmish weather that's still left.

Fairfax said...

It's unbelievable to me that I've never been there. I dated someone who lived close by, and we kept meaning to go, but then he married my best friend. :-(

It's about 45 minutes down the road, so I should make the effort.

cindy said...

I'm now going to the market this weekend! I am pretty stoked and can't wait to see it.

Cakespy said...

Love those vintage stars! Very nice photography! I'd love to visit this market.

gilcarvr said...

i'm getting suspicious or that "architectural salvage company"... those garden urns are suspiciously chinese looking...

katia surménian said...

My dream! visit Martha's Vineyard and do a antic market, i don't know if it's the right word, in French we say: une brocante ou les puces. Your blog inspire me in my work and make me travel.
It's magic for a french girl who dream ti visit USA.
Have a nice day to everyone.
Trés belle journée à tous,
Katia
http://www.abatjourbykatia.com

katia surménian said...

Goodmorning,
your blog is magic, above all for a french girl who dream martha's vineyard. do a antic market wil be fabtastic!! in French we say: une brocante, les puces ou les antiquaires.
Thank you for all this picture, they inspire me in my work and make me dream(sorry for the mistakes...)
Trés belle journée à tous!
Have a nice day to everyone!
Katia
http://www.abatjourbykatia.com